Saturday, June 18, 2011

Happy Thoughts--A Lovely Gift.

Tonight my 'sister' gave me a gift. It was a small booklet titled Happy Thoughts collected by Everett Thornton Brown. The first poem is a stunningly perfect representation of my day today.

It was only a glad "Good morning!"
As she passed along the way,
But it spread the morning's glory
Over the livelong day.

Today--most days for that matter--I was feeling exceptionally chipper. At my job in a very busy retail store, I was working the checkout. Each time I greeted a customer, they seemed to cheer up a bit. It is as though we humans get lost in the monotony of daily life, and to have someone genuinely recognize your existence with just a simple "Good morning!" can be quite pleasant.
Numerous times throughout the day I received some very heartwarming compliments from customers and coworkers. Happiness can be contagious. Simply be joyous, and share your joy with others. Greet people with a genuine "Good morning!" instead of a fake and lazy "Oh man am I tired!"
And if you just plain don't feel happy or joyous, try faking it for a couple minutes. Once you set a smile upon someone's face, it will inevitably bring out joy in you.

I had a great discussion with my father tonight. He quite passionately agreed with my statement "there's just no reason to be unhappy in life." At this moment in time, I believe we all have two choices: be happy, or be the opposite of happy. Make a choice and live with it.

3 comments:

  1. Hayley, I am so glad you made this! And I agree with you completely. I was at my boss's going-away party tonight with a bunch of the board members, and it was just so much fun to meet these really nice, fun, casual adults. People ask me what I'm laughing at sometimes, but is it really a crime? Can't I just laugh because I enjoy life and it makes it that much more pleasant? Hayley, you make me happy, and I hope I do the same for you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, shoot. Since I don't have any sort of account, I probably should sign my posts. :P lol
    -Christina

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE THIS!! Life is so GREAT! little things in life always brighten my day! :)

    ReplyDelete